Cut Through The Clutter: Most Effective Turmeric Curcumin of 2018
We'll show you what to look for, why to pick clinically studied products, and why Amazon is the worst place for researching supplements
Experts agree that turmeric curcumin has been revolutionizing the health industry. Though this ancient spice has been used widely for millennia, researchers are only beginning to discover how integral it is to our overall well being.
New studies show that turmeric curcumin can help promote healthy joints, keep our hearts in top shape, and maintain our cognitive functioning. Researchers are also suggesting that, when taken as a supplement, it can help keep our immune system balanced and working correctly1,2,3
Many companies will bottle an ineffective form of turmeric, practically curcumin-free, and serve it to you with a list of unattainable benefits, but some premium supplements are beginning to use clinically studied, patented technologies to optimize the absorption and potency of curcumin. That's why Smarter Reviews has compiled months of research about this emerging category. We’ll show you what to look for and what to avoid in an optimized curcumin supplement, and how it can help transform your health.
understanding Turmeric Curcumin: what's it all about?
The golden pigment from the turmeric root has a long-standing history in both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine, to treat numerous issues, including joint health. However, more recent studies prove its active compound, curcumin is not effectively absorbed in significant amounts by the body.
Fortunately, researchers have made advancements in solid lipid nanotechnology improving and promoting curcumin absorption into the bloodstream, which has been shown in clinical studies to more efficiently target tissues across the blood-brain barrier for a full 24-hours.4,5 A daily 400 mg dose6 of this more bioavailable formulation led to significant joint comfort.
This more absorbable curcumin has also been clinically proven to boost whole-body mobility and flexibility, as well as provide cardiovascular benefits and supports the immune system. It doesn't stop there. Turmeric is well-researched to improve cognitive health, and so much more.
With so many advantages to its use documented over such long a period of time, it's no wonder why turmeric curcumin has become a household name in health support. Here at Smarter Reviews, we set out to do the research and pinpoint the abilities that turmeric curcumin uses to support the body. This is what we found:
Turmeric Curcumin possesses the ability to:
- Support Joint Comfort7
- Enhance Cognitive Functioning2
- Benefit Cardiovascular Health9
- Bolster Immune System Defenses1,2,3
- Fight Free Radicals Within the Body2
- Promote Mobility and Flexibility7
- Help Regulate the Digestive System2
- Provide Antioxidant Health Benefits2
- Optimize Overall Body Comfort
- Empower Positive Overall Well-being
What You need in a Turmeric Curcumin Supplement
Taking all of the healthful attributes listed above into consideration, we've boiled down a list of six key characteristics you should always look for in a great turmeric curcumin supplement. Try to seek out all of these qualities:
The problem with most products on the market is they are filled with large quantities of generic curcumin that may be "standardized to 95%", but have not been clinically proven to work. Clinically proven forms of curcumin are highly bioavailable and require only 400 mg daily to be effective12,13 according to numerous clinical studies. Therefore It’s not the amount of curcumin extract you take, but rather the type. Look for highly bioavailable curcumin that has been clinically proven to work.
During our research of hundreds of products, we found that the highest quality, most effective turmeric curcumin supplements were all recommended by a respected doctor specializing in both nutrition and mobility.
Combining Curcumin with Boswellia Serrata
Clinical research shows that when boswellia serrata, also known as frankincense, is paired with curcumin, at the clinically suggested daily serving size of 400 to 800 mg, joint discomfort significantly decreased. It is the combination of these two ingredients, working together, that raises their individual benefits exponentially.
Scientifically-backed, potent curcumin extracts are more effective at promoting absorption into the bloodstream, delivering free curcumin to targeted tissue, and eliminating the need for BioPerine or other black pepper derivatives.
It goes without saying—you want natural, pure, healthy ingredients in turmeric supplements, backed by pure, unadulterated turmeric curcumin extract, so you know you are getting the most authentic purity possible. Natural ingredients are essential in any high-quality turmeric supplement.
Top 2 Things To Avoid
- Relying on Amazon Reviews
Millions of Americans look to Amazon reviews before purchasing their products, but most don’t realize that up to 60% are written by individuals paid to leave positive feedback. Risking your health with reviews that are likely false is too dangerous a game to play when you’re choosing an ingestible supplement.
- Generic Ingredients
Too many health brands have been cutting costs by using cheaper, generic ingredients. This is likely why you or someone you know have tried a turmeric curcumin supplement without any results. It's critical to find a supplement with 100% clinically proven ingredients.
Our specialized ranking system
At Smarter Reviews, we employ a comprehensive evaluation system to analyze and measure the full value of products, by looking at the ingredients, safety, projected effectiveness, return policies, and overall customer satisfaction. This method is known as the Smarter Reviews Ranking System.
In addition to ranking products, we also collect research from the latest studies and clinical trials. Choosing the best product is easy with Smarter Reviews. We offer a clear-cut system that covers the most important criteria, and takes into account the experienced personal reviews of our valued Smarter Shoppers. We've taken the guesswork out of the process, so you can shop smart, and save on time and money.
THE 5 BEST Turmeric Curcumin Supplements ON THE MARKET
Based on our own extensive research, the metrics provided by our Smarter Reviews Ranking System, and consideration of numerous reviews by Smarter Shoppers just like you, we've compiled a list of what we've found to be the top five products in
this category, on the market today.
- Formulated with Longvida® Optimized Curcumin Extract
- 285 times more bioavailable than standardized 95% turmeric curcumin
- Contains WokVel® Boswellia Serrata Extract
- Doctor recommended
- 24-hour potency in 400 mg daily dose
- 90-day, risk-free, money-back, product guarantee
- Out of stock frequently
The Bottom Line
Formulated with both Longvida® Optimized Curcumin Extract and WokVel® Boswellia Serrata Extract, 1MD's Advanced Turmeric Curcumin X285 ranks as #1 on our list because 1MD uses clinically-supported technologies to optimize the bioavailability of active ingredients, boosting results9,10,12,13 Longvida is formulated to cross the blood-brain barrier so it is most effective against cognitive impairment or injury.11 In addition, 1MD is backed by exemplary customer service satisfaction ratings and is recommended by a highly respected doctor who specializes in natural nutrition.
Their return policy was also top of its class - a comprehensive, 90-day, risk-free, money-back guarantee, proving the company stands behind its products. This was a huge advantage versus the competition, along with total effectiveness projections that rivaled any other supplement we found. All in all, 1MD is our #1 pick.
*Results are based on the Smarter Reviews Ranking System and do not necessarily reflect typical results from the use of these products. Please visit product websites for more information.Learn About Our Top Pick
- Potent daily serving of pure 95% curcumin extract
- Vegetable Capsules
- Excellent customer service
- Fantastic return policy
- Doesn't contain boswellia serrata
- Only available on product website
The Bottom Line
HealthWise Turmeric Curcumin Advanced Restore secures the #2 spot in our top five list because of its straightforward and potent formula. Although it doesn't contain boswellia, this turmeric curcumin supplement contains natural, pure, 95% curcumin extract for maximum absorption, and also received high praise for product safety and overall effectiveness.
Our Smarter Shoppers loved this product, and we gave it extra marks because feedback was that their excellent customer service went above and beyond.
*Results are based on the Smarter Reviews Ranking System and do not necessarily reflect typical results from the use of these products. Please visit product websites for more information.Learn More
- Contains concentrated turmeric, Boswellia, and ginger extracts
- Meriva® turmeric complex
- Enhanced with antioxidants and Bromelain
- Only available through retailers
The Bottom Line
Planetary Herbals Inflama-Care™ Turmeric Boswellia Complex is formulated with highly concentrated extracts of turmeric, Boswellia, and ginger.
The supplement delivers curcumin through Meriva® turmeric complex, Turmeric Rhizome Extract (95% curcuminoids), and Turmeric Rhizome. Meriva® is 29 times more bioavailable than standard curcumin.
The formula contains various antioxidants, including Willow Bark extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, quercetin, and Grape Seed Extract. Planetary Herbals are not available directly from manufacturer, but offers a 100% return policy earning it the bronze.
*Results are based on the Smarter Reviews Ranking System and do not necessarily reflect typical results from the use of these products. Please visit product websites for more information.
- Contains both Boswellia serrata and turmeric root extract
- Enhanced with Devil’s Claw
- No artificial additives or ingredients
- Less bioavailable generic ingredients
- 30-day pre-authorized return policy
The Bottom Line
Douglas Laboratories Boswellia-Turmeric Complex is formulated with a combination of two standardized botanical extracts; Boswellia serrata and turmeric root, with the addition of Devil’s Claw root.
The formula is described as providing normal recovery support to muscles and joints after exercise or activity, supporting joint health and providing immune support, as well as anti-inflammatory responses. The Boswellia serrata extract is standardized to 65%; the Turmeric Root is standardized to 95% total curcuminoids.
Douglas Laboratories offers a 30-day pre-authorized return policy.
- Contains organic turmeric
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- High potency boswellia
- Doctor recommended
- Less bioavailable generic turmeric
The Bottom Line
Olivia Naturals Organic Turmeric Complex for Inflammation contains a synergized blend of high potency Ginger and Boswellia extracts to complement the organic Turmeric 95% curcuminoids, boosted by the bioavailability enhancer BioPerine®.
Olivia Naturals provides a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Menon V.P., Sudheer A.R. (2007) ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY PROPERTIES OF CURCUMIN. In: Aggarwal B.B., Surh YJ., Shishodia S. (eds) The Molecular Targets and Therapeutic Uses of Curcumin in Health and Disease. ADVANCES IN EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY, vol 595. Springer, Boston, MA
- Gupta, S. C., Patchva, S., & Aggarwal, B. B. (2013). Therapeutic Roles of Curcumin: Lessons Learned from Clinical Trials. The AAPS Journal, 15(1), 195–218.
- Spicing up" of the immune system by curcumin.
Jagetia GC1, Aggarwal BB. J Clin Immunol. 2007 Jan; 27 (1): 19-35. Epub 2007 Jan 9.
- Prasad, S., Tyagi, A. K., & Aggarwal, B. B. (2014). Recent Developments in Delivery, Bioavailability, Absorption and Metabolism of Curcumin: the Golden Pigment from Golden Spice. Cancer Research and Treatment : Official Journal of Korean Cancer Association, 46(1), 2–18.
- Negar Ghalandarlaki, Ali Mohammad Alizadeh, and Soheil Ashkani-Esfahani, “Nanotechnology-Applied Curcumin for Different Diseases Therapy,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, Article ID 394264, 23 pages, 2014. doi:10.1155/2014/394264.
- McFarlin et al. Reduced inflammatory and muscle damage biomarkers following oral supplementation with bioavailable curcumin. University of North Texas. BBA Clinical. 18 Feb 2016. 5: 72-78.
- Daily, J. W., Yang, M., & Park, S. (2016). Efficacy of Turmeric Extracts and Curcumin for Alleviating the Symptoms of Joint Arthritis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. Journal of Medicinal Food, 19(8), 717–729.
- Wongcharoen, Wanwarang et al., The protective role of curcumin in cardiovascular diseases,International Journal of Cardiology , Volume 133 , Issue 2, 145 - 151.
- Sharma S et al. Pharmacokinetic study of 11-keto β-boswellic acid. Phytomedicine. 2004 Feb. 11: 255-260.
- Gota P et al. Efficacy of solid lipid Boswellia serrata particles (SLBSP) in OA of knee. J Pharm Sci Tech Mgmt. Vol 1(Issue 2) 2015 Jul. 70-76. 13.
- Koronyo, Y et al. Retinal amyloid pathology and proof-of-concept imaging trial. JCI Insight. 2018. 2(16). DOI: 10.1172/jci.insight.93621.
- Gota et al. Safety and pharmacokinetics of a solid lipid curcumin particle formulation in patients and healthy volunteers. Tata Memorial Cancer Centre. J Ag Food Chem. 2010. 58(4): 2095-2099.
- Eidenberger T et al. Investigation of the lymphatic transport of solid-lipid curcumin particles (Longvida®) in comparison to curcumin extract in rats. University of Applied Sciences, Upper Austria. Poster in 252nd ACS National Meeting: Philadelphia, PA. 2016 Aug. P55.