We're all on the hunt for healthy, even-toned skin that has an irresistible glow. Skincare companies are catching on, and age spot correctors are popping up in retail stores everywhere promising skin that looks permanently refreshed, radiant and youthful.
However, some inexpensive retail brands add cheap fillers and unnecessary ingredients to their formulas that not only dilute the potency of their products, but can be potentially harmful to your skin and overall health.
So, to help you choose the right product, we’ll show you what really causes dark spots, the top ingredients to look for in a high-quality age spot corrector, and the benefits of using a high-quality ecommerce product for maximum results.
A Quality Spot Corrector Can:
- Help reveal smooth, glowing skin
- Reduce the appearance of dark spots & discoloration
- Aid in brightening & energizing the skin’s complexion
- Support a visibly balanced, even skin tone
- Help diminish the look of blemishes, calm breakouts & fade scarring
- Promote radiant, hydrated, healthy skin
What Causes Dark Spots?
Our skin is constantly adapting to new environments, and one of its most important roles is producing melanin. When we expose ourselves to the sun, our skin releases this pigment to protect itself from UV rays. It's a normal and healthy reaction to sun exposure, and generally, the more melanin protecting us, the better.
Sometimes this results in a gorgeous, glowing tan, but this natural UV response can also often cause excess melanin to pool in key areas of our skin, which can then cause discoloration or dark spots. Unlike freckles, these melanin deposits are less likely to fade away on their own.
This is where dark spot correctors come in. High-quality spot correctors typically contain a combination of active ingredients and antioxidants that work together to exfoliate the skin to maintain smoothness, and help prevent melanin from collecting in that area again.
Top Ingredients to Look For:
This vitamin not only helps diminish the look of skin pigmentation and dark spots, but also helps maintain a smooth-looking complexion.
Often listed as Sodium Hyaluronate, Hyaluronic Acid is a powerful ingredient that deeply moisturizes and smooths the look of wrinkles around your eyes.
A group of skin-smoothing ingredients that gently exfoliate and moisturize, for a dewy complexion. Look for a formula that lists some or all of Glycolic acid, Lactic acid, and Phytic acid.
An intensely hydrating acid that can hold up to 10,000 times its weight in moisture and works synergistically with hyaluronic acid to visibly smooth and plump skin.
White Shiitake Mushroom
Nature's answer to hydroquinone, white shiitake is a kojic-acid rich brightener that gently exfoliates to minimize the appearance of discoloration, dark spots, and redness.
Making sure your dark spot corrector contains these ingredients will go a long way to help even out your complexion, but there are also some things you should watch out for before making a purchase:
Disreputable CompaniesLook for a spot corrector from a reputable seller with positive reviews. If you're unable to find this information, you should proceed with caution.
Hydroquinone & MercuryThese synthetic ingredients can cause unwanted results. In fact, hydroquinone is banned in every country except the U.S. because prolonged use can result in significant skin discoloration.
Hidden GuaranteesAvoid companies that hide details in their return policy's terms and conditions. They can make it difficult to get your money back, if at all.
Overnight ResultsBe on the lookout for dark spot correctors that promise fast results. Real skin enhancement takes time.
Your Definitive Dark Spot Corrector Checklist:
Research Retail Brands
Although many drugstore products seem to list well-known ingredients on their labels, they often cut corners and use poor-quality ingredients to keep operating costs as low as possible for mass production. Furthermore, it’s difficult to determine how long a product has been sitting on a retail shelf—or how long its potency will last.
The E-Commerce Advantage
Many successful e-commerce beauty brands have inherently lower overhead costs, which gives them the ability to invest more in creating superior skincare formulas. Therefore, by selling directly to you, online beauty brands are often able to offer higher quality products at a more affordable cost.
Americans spend millions of dollars every year for youthful skin, and they still find themselves unhappy with an apparent lack of results. It’s better—and safer—to invest in a product that offers a 100% money-back, no-questions-asked guarantee. This shows the company's faith in the potency of its product and the results you will experience.
Here's who made the cut...
After closely analyzing almost 70 different dark spot correctors and over 10,000 user reviews, we unfortunately only found 5 dark spot correctors that met our requirements. There were a surprisingly high number of ineffective products with either sub-standard ingredients or confusing money-back guarantees. Quality dark spot correctors aren't easy to find, and out of 67 products that we reviewed, only 5 of them carry our recommendation.
Top 5 spot correctors of 2021
- SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense
- SkinMedica 3-piece System
- Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta
- Sunday Riley C.E.O. Brightening Serum
- Obagi Nu-Derm Clear Fx
- PFB Vanish + Chromabright
- PCA Skin Pigment Gel
- Glytone Enhance Brightening Complex
- Dermalogica Rapid Reveal Peel
- Allies of Skin Vitamin C Serum
- REN Clean Skincare Daily AHA Tonic
- iS Clinical White Lightening Serum
- Eminence Organic Bright Skin Serum
- La Roche-Posay Active C Eyes
- Colorescience Even Up Pigment Perfector
- Murad Age Spot Serum
- Nia 24 Age Recovery
- Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream
- Vivant Skin Care 15% Mandelic Acid
- Peter Thomas Roth Wrinkle Resist Serum
- Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Cream
- HydroPeptide Face Lift Advanced
- Epinonce Pigment Perfecting Serum
- Verso Super Facial Serum
- DCL Aha Resurfacing Lotion
- AGENT NATEUR Youth Serum
- Korres Wile Rose Vitamin C Sleeping Facial
- NeoStrata Tri-Therapy Serum
- Jan Marini C-ESTA Gel
- Radical Skincare Anti-Aging Moisture
- FUR Silk Scrub
- Lancer Skincare Caviar Lime Acid Peel
- Guinot Creme Age Summum
- DERMAFLASH Replenishment Kit
- GLOWBIOTICS Probiotic Brightening Lotion
- Perricone MD Cold Plasma+
- Alpha Skincare Skin Lightener
- Natura Bisse Neck Cream
- 100% Pure Dark Spot Remover
- VI Derm Vitamin C Gel
- Verso Dark Spot Fix
- Replenix Pigment Correcting Cream
- Erno Laszlo Eye Serum Mask
- Revaleskin Eye Serum
- Ursa Major Vitamin C Serum
- BeautyRx Skincare Vitamin C Serum
- Trophy Skin
- Glo Skin Beauty Lightening Serum
- The Organic Pharmacy Face Serum
- Sanitas Skincare Citrus Cleanser
- TULA Skincare Skin Rescue
- Luzern Laboratories Creme Intensive
- Colbert MD Stimulate Serum
- VivierSkin GrenzCine Serum
- NeoCutis Skin Brightening Cream
- First Aid Beauty Resurfacing Liquid
- Exuviance AF Vitamin C 20%
- Thank You Farmer Sun Project
- Phytomer Sorbet Cream
- Derma e Toner
- 111SKIN Anti Blemish Booster
- BY TERRY Touche Veloutee
- Olga Lorencin Skin Care Detox Facial
- EVE LOM TIME RETREAT
- GlamGlow Exfoliating Acid Solution
- COSRX Low pH BHA Mask
- CosMedix Cell ID