Sometimes we get stuck in a skin-rut. Youth generator this, skin renewal that. We have too many options and it can be overwhelming to choose the right product that won't irritate our skin.
That's when we had a thought. What if we create our own all-natural skin cream at home to help along the way. DIY skin cream? It's easier and more beneficial than you may think. Most of us already have these ingredients in our cupboard and if not their are easily found at local supermarkets or health food stores. We'll let you be the judge. Here are some easy steps to try for yourself.
- STEP 1 - Decide whether it will be a night or day cream. This will determine if you need to add a product that contains SPF. Something like coconut oil has a natural spf of 8. Measurement: Start with about a cup
- STEP 2 - Start with a substantial or creamy base like coconut oil; your favorite moisturizer; a combinations of butters and oils including shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil and almond oil.
- STEP 3 - Add more oils that your skin will love like argan oil. Argan oil contains all the right skin nutrients to be an amazing powerhouse ingredient to add. Sound too oily? Argan oil is naturally absorbent and should be pulled into the skin efficiently, not immediately but after a short time. Measurement: Start with about two to three drops
- STEP 4 - Want something sweet smelling? Choose some essential oils that will enhance your cream like patchouli, sandalwood, or something more floral like hibiscus, rose or lavender. Measurement: Start with about a drop and adjust to your liking
- STEP 5 - Make sure to sterilize the container you will be using, especially if you are reusing a jar. If you are using brand-new jar they will most likely come pre-sterilized but there's no harm in taking extra precaution. Completely submerge your jar(s) and lid(s) in boiling water and boil them for about 10 minutes.They will be hot so pull them out using tongs and place them on a drying rack or trays. Dry them off thoroughly (we recommend paper towels) before use.
- STEP 6 - Fill your container up with your creation and use it as often as you'd like or need.
Helpful hint: Makes a great gift for close friends looking for something more natural to use on a day to day basis.
The DIY cream doesn't have to be used on it's own. Combine the use of this with an eye cream you would like to us or are already using. Change up the ingredients every so often to find the right mix for you and become the skincare goddess you know you are.